For dinner I made a turkey, my first, with cranberry stuffing and homemade cranberry sauce. Everyone else brought something, including the Merchant family holiday requisite, Fester (festive) Salad. It has been awesome having all the leftovers, I've hardly cooked since Saturday. After dinner the kids exchanged gifts, we ate pumpkin pie, and there was air hockey and poker. Sunday morning FIL made his famous pancakes. I am really sad that I didn't know where my camera was and didn't get any pictures!
Sunday we piled in the van with DH's cousin and her family to give them a ride home. He would have driven without the kids and I, but we were supposed to be at a Solstice celebration later that afternoon. This was an eventful drive, with me landing us in a ditch at one point, and driving through some very snowy roads at other points. It turned out our Solstice ritual was cancelled due to the weather, and although we were in Vancouver we had no snowgear for the kids and couldn't go to the Lantern Parade either. It was a bit of a let-down, but at least we were all together! We drove home and ate leftovers and a big apple-cranberry crumble I'd made, and lit a candle in honour of the day.
We exchanged gifts as well, and I got totally spoiled by Dh. Chocolates, a date book, and a gift card for the local yarn shop. Smart shopping by him, since I am more likely to knit for him and the kids than for myself! All I got him was underwear and pyjamas, but I have a fair isle toque on the needles for him. DD got painting accesories and a stir xylophone, and DS got a wooden van, just like Dad's. We also received some generous financial gifts from family, which we will put towards a grain mill, a nice big stock pot and hopefully more household items for the whole family. Thank you!
Check out my facebook page for december photos, or email me for a link (you don't have to be a member on facebook.com)

0 comments:
Post a Comment