Not much to report! A very usual week. Friday I had my midwifery class, so DD and DS went for a nice walk with Nana, as I drove through the awful fog into Vancouver. It was strange not being able to see the scenery. In a way it seemed to make the trip go faster, since I never knew where I was. I made good time, luckily, even though I stopped on the way to buy a watch.
Putting on my watch made me feel like a professional all of a sudden. As if now I can go around timing fetal heart rates anytime, anywhere. I can now tell you
what time it is, and what day. It lights up when it's dark, resists water when it's wet... handy dandy piece of equipment. Now that I know the time and date, maybe I'll remember to do stuff. Oh, and when I'm stressing about being late, I can now frequently check my watch just to make sure - yep. I'm late.
DD created a beautiful painting today. We have been experimenting with the Waldorf wet-on-wet watercolour painting technique. She loves painting, it is definitely a notch above plain old colouring now. I like to watch her as she spreads the paint around the page, describing what she is painting. Polar bears, turtles and othe
r animals are what she sees, and she has a very particular way of rinsing her brush and dipping it in more paint. It can be hard for me not to interfere with her process, and I have to remind myself that she doesn't care about how it looks, or if the water is pooling.... it's all about the creation.
DS finds it most unfair that he doesn't get to paint. I thought at first that he just wanted to hold the paintbrush, so a few days ago I gave him one. He squirmed and squealed and used the brush to point at the jars of water and paint. OK, I
thought, he wants to swish it in some water. So I gave him a nice jar of non-staining water and let him stir his brush around. This was fine for a second, but he realized it wasn't paint... so then I let him put his brush in the paint. I thought he just wanted to muck around and make a mess but he wasn't happy until he was actually dipping his brush into paint and then smearing it across paper. At this point I got I couldn't stop myself from wondering if I had some kind of art genius on my hands. A few seconds later the brush was in his mouth and we were back to toddler-land.


0 comments:
Post a Comment